Nyghtfall reviews Casualties of Horror - The Barbeque

A place for board members to review videos and video producers as well as mainstream movies! Feel free to contribute!

Moderators: Moderators, Admin

Nyghtfall
What is your main fetish?: Fantasy Asphyxiation
Why do you want to join this forum?: Wanted to hang out with like-minded folks
Referral: DeadSkirts

Nyghtfall reviews Casualties of Horror - The Barbeque

Post by Nyghtfall »

A week ago, I wrote Bluestone that I was rescinding my participation in his Candid Reviews project - though I hadn't started yet - as most of my money is now going toward my new hobby in 3D modeling. After blowing $12 on this clip I bought from Casualties of Horror earlier this evening, I feel inclined to go ahead and write a review of it.

I've already e-mailed COH a condensed, bullet-point version of this review.

COH posted this on July 3. It looked promising. Kordelia Devonshire looks absolutely beautiful as a brunette, especially all dolled up as she is. I wish she'd worn something sexier, but I've seen enough fetish and mainstream clips in which the victim is wearing jeans that I was willing to forgive her attire considering how she good looks from the neck up. She's also wearing an ugly pair of shoes. I figured as long as she loses them during the struggle, that might salvage the rest of the scene for me. I e-mailed COH with a couple of questions before buying, and they wrote that she does lose a shoe during the struggle. Since it was only $12, I figured one shoe may be enough. In hindsight, I should've asked if we actually see her lose the shoes during the struggle...

Plot Summary: Kordelia is a friend of Allen's wife, and has been invited to their place for a barbeque. She loves flirting and leading men on with her charms, only to shoot them down when they make a move. Once the party's over, and Allen's wife is passed out on the couch, Allen makes his move by copping a feel with Kordelia. Kordelia slaps him, warns him to stop, and then starts walking toward the living room to tell his wife about him. Allen grabs her by the neck in mid-stride, slams her back against the wall, and lifts her off the ground, strangling her to death as she slowly sinks back down onto the floor after a long struggle. The clip ends with some stripping and fondling of her corpse.

Strangling: The initial attack happens 3 minutes into the clip, and looked relatively good during the first 20 seconds. We get a close-up of her feet as she's lifted up off the ground, followed by some really nice acting on her part. Unfortunately, the scene goes straight to hell after 23 seconds with a ridiculously cheesy looking transition effect to a flashback of a scene shown just 2 minutes before. When you've only got 13 minutes of footage and you're shooting fetish material, flashbacks and camera cuts are completely unwarranted, and do nothing but yank the viewer right out of the action. That's why I hate them so much, and why I started editing mainstream clips ten years ago. There are two flashbacks during the death scene. They happen just 2 minutes apart from each other, last about 5 seconds each, and both of them ruined the scene for me. 5 seconds may not seem long as you read this, but it feels like a minute when all you want is to get back to the action. Producers, you're not shooting mainstream material. Don't try to pretend otherwise. We also don't get anymore close-ups of Kordelia's feet, or see her actually lose the shoe that COH wrote me about. All we really get is a slow motion version of the same shot from the initial attack, during the second flashback.

The struggle itself is rife with technical flaws. When filming a suspended strangling, it is absolutely vital that the illusion be maintained througout the scene. Allowing the model to lean forward several times and jiggle around as much as she did, coupled with really bad camera angles, destroys the illusion by making it all too clear that she's really standing on something. The ad copy mentions that she begins to convulse as she nears death. That's fine, as long as the convulsions aren't exaggerated, especially not to the point of completely shattering the illusion of the scene. To make matters worse, nearly five minutes into the attack, she lowers her arms, and only makes a couple of passing gestures back up toward Allen's wrist before finally dying on the floor at 6:12. Once she's dead, the rest of the clip is spent with Allen stripping her topless and enjoying some limb play.

Postmortem: Kordelia playing dead on the floor, topless, complete with death stare. She does make a great looking corpse.

Audio/Video: 720x480 WMV. Both picture and sound are terrific. No audio distortions, no visual hiccups, nothing. Dialogue is audible and crisp. The close-ups on Kordelia's expressions during the attack, and her bare breasts during the postmortem fondling, are great.

Actor: Allen did alright as the perp, but I don't understand why he kept clutching the top of his own wrist while throttling Kordelia. If he was trying to support his arm, he should've been grabbing it from underneath, like a support beam.

Actress: I've seen Kordelia's bondage work, and am a big fan. After watching this, I'm convinced that she was simply the victim of exceptionally poor direction.

Camera Work: Decent enough up until the death scene, and then it's all over the place, effectively killing the illusion of Kordelia being suspended during the attack.

Overall: Hot chicks do absolutely nothing for me when the death scenes are as technically flawed as this one is. 1 out of 10.
Bluestone
Site Admin
What is your main fetish?: strangulation
Why do you want to join this forum?: I'm the owner
Referral: Bluestone, of course!

Re: Nyghtfall reviews Casualties of Horror - The Barbeque

Post by Bluestone »

The producer discussions raised by this review have been moved to the "On Topic" forum under the same title there, since they are of a general nature. That discussion may continue there, while allowing this thread to be devoted to comments on Nyghtfall's review as well as allowing the opportunity for any other customer reviews on this video.

Blue
Bluestone's Silk Videos - Producer of Sexy Crime Dramas and Superheroine Films featuring HOT actresses!

DDGBluestone@hotmail.com