I TRIED WIN10 FOR 15 DAYS

Here is where you will find plain-language instructions for how to use all of Femme Fatalities' features. Plus it is a place to post any tech questions you need answered. Computer-savvy members, please visit this forum regularly to see if there are any fellow members who need help.

Moderators: Moderators, Admin

Algenon5
What is your main fetish?: old shoes
Why do you want to join this forum?: bored
Referral: Ad in The Watch Tower

I TRIED WIN10 FOR 15 DAYS

Post by Algenon5 »

I'm back on Win7 pro 64 bit.

Win10 is basically a dumbed-down, clunky looking version of Win7 Home with fewer features and functions than 7 pro, plus it comes loaded with commercial apps that want to sell you crap. You can hide these apps, but uninstalling them isn't easy. All folders have a thick, redundant functions bar I suppose for people who don't know how to right-click. You can only partially hide this bar. All folders also have a redundant quick link sidebar which takes up a lot of space, and which cannot be hidden or removed. (There is a way which CNET doesn't advise because removal has the potential to screw up your registry.)

Some functions which are easy on 7 pro aren't so easy on 10. For example, with 7 it take only two clicks to disconnect from the net. With 10 you must open a series to pages to find the disconnect button. I use a PC professionally three or four hours a day. In this regard 10 wasn't a help, rather it was a hindrance. I encountered stability problems with several tried and true programs, and there also were occasional browser freeze-ups with IE11 and Firefox.

The free upgrade installation was easy and fully automatic. It takes from one to two hours depending on how many files are on your PC. However toward the end of the installation you will be asked if you want to do a quick or custom setup. DO NOT CHOOSE THE QUICK SETUP! If you do you may find your PC doing things you never intended. The custom setup is simple, and takes less than a minute. All that's required is you check boxes next to six or seven very obvious questions.

I'll be happy to read comments from anyone presently using Win10.
MINISTRY OF CULTURE APPROVED
Algenon5

Re: I TRIED WIN10 FOR 15 DAYS

Post by Algenon5 »

I should have mentioned this:

If you have done the free "upgrade" to Win10 and are less than thrilled, you have 30 days to to switch back to Win7 or Win8. The process is easy and mostly automatic. Just follow these simple steps:

Open up SETTINGS via the START MENU or the taskbar icon.

Click UPDATE & SECURITY and then go to RECOVERY.

Under the Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1 heading, click Get started and you'll be guided through the rest of the process.

Al
smudger

Post by smudger »

Have they had to dumb it down to ensure that Trump supporters could use a computer?
Algenon5

Post by Algenon5 »

Ha! Ha! Ha! Not really -- I hope!

It's another attempt at an OS that's compatible with touch screen devices and PCs, and as with Win8 it's the PC user that gets the short end of the stick. However, unlike the Win8 disaster, Win10 will probably last. It also probably insures that Win7 pro will have a long life.
Algenon5

Post by Algenon5 »

The deadline for free downloads of Win 10 is this July 29th, after which the switch from Win 7 or Win 8 will cost $110 USD.

Al
Algenon5

Post by Algenon5 »

Windows 7 pro 64 bit is still being factory-installed on new desktop PCs. Also tech retailers like Tiger Direct are spotlighting Win7 pro 64 software as a featured item in their online and email advertising.

Al