AstroKill reviews 'Massacre at Rocky Ridge' by RueMorgue

Reviews of Hank's Rue Morgue films, as well as the Grey Panther Films produced with Tommy Gun and Hank's Rumsprings Films, should be posted here!

Moderator: Admin

astrokill

AstroKill reviews 'Massacre at Rocky Ridge' by RueMorgue

Post by astrokill »

This film was released by RueMorgue a couple of years ago, and I remember buying this as a college student, wondering what RueMorgue was all about. Currently available on DVD at RueMorgue's website, when I first saw this, it was during a time when I wasn't sure what erotic horror really meant, other than a couple of shooting videos. This film emphasized the horror part well to my young eyes. This thriller stars several actresses performing several deaths and lasts around an hour and 20 minutes.

This plot is your basic slasher type of movie, where we first get to know the victims, some rumors of a killer on the loose, the killing starts to happen, and the end result is that the killer leaves (to hopefully another sequel). Then body handling begins when the victims' corpses are found the following morning by a park ranger.

Each actress plays the role of their demise well. They portray the camaraderie between themselves well, and when they die, their shock and disbelief on their faces is portrayed believably. You can actually feel their terror as you see them scream, and you can feel the stabs they take as the knife plunges into them. The actors also did a great job. The masked killer, the choice of costume for him, marks him into the creepy territory. The park ranger did a good job as well, he seemed to feel sorry for the people he was looking at as he gathered the bodies up for disposal.

The death scenes are stabs. If you are stabbing fan, the movie does a good job of portraying it convincingly, and the special effects make the blood flow freely and realistically. Each death scene has own erotic nature to it, however, I liked the one where a girl masturbates as she catches two people in lesbian lust outside their tent, and then gets stabbed on her chest and on her throat while she masturbating. No nudity in this scene, but I thought it was something I didn't see before. Each death scene is great in itself.

The body handling scenes after the victims are dead were great as well, the camera pans each dead body lovingly before they become part of a body pile. The body pile had a great pose of each of the dead nude girls, and looking at them now, the position as to where the nude girls is erotic as well. Each girl is not placed too far away from one another, but closely packed. The bodies are arranged randomly, which I like. We see great looking breasts and not too far away, a sensual death stare of another girl and then some more breasts. Very nice.

The story was top notch, the lighting throughout was great. The nighttime scenes are not too dark, but enough darkness to evoke a sense of dread and great views of the victim who is stranded in that darkness. The daytime scenes are lighted nicely, there is no glares. And each body has a decent amount of light emphasizing their nudity and wounds.

This is one of my favorite movies of erotic horror, I loved the theme of a killer stalking beautiful women in the woods, and this film ultimately made me take notice of RueMorgue.

AstroKill's Rating: 9 out of 10 stars
JohnM

Re: AstroKill reviews 'Massacre at Rocky Ridge' by RueMorgue

Post by JohnM »

I don't know if I am allowed to comment on a review, but I just wanted to say, that movie was one of the funnest projects I ever shot. I still use the cut off knife method perfected during the making of that today.

The movie was one of the first Hank and I played with shooting at night. Two years later, we shot additional footage with Paris Kennedy, Lexi and Savannah Costello to add to the original with Tomiko, Gwen, Maria, Victoria, Julie Simone, Valorie and Tricia.

More trivia: Savannah Costello used footage from Massacre to audition for other more mainstream horror movies and was given parts in Carver, Fear of Clowns 2 and Rotkappchen: The Blood of Red Riding Hood.

Good times.

JohnM
CHAT • COMMUNITY • UPDATES
VISIT: THE PKF FORUM

MOVIE UPDATES VISIT: PKF UPDATES
astrokill

Re: AstroKill reviews 'Massacre at Rocky Ridge' by RueMorgue

Post by astrokill »

The crew, the actresses, actors and the masked killer did some of their best work here. I won't be surprised if anyone used the film in the portfolio. :D