Girls In Prison

Reviews of Hank's Rue Morgue films, as well as the Grey Panther Films produced with Tommy Gun and Hank's Rumsprings Films, should be posted here!

Moderator: Admin

Rue Morgue

Girls In Prison

Post by Rue Morgue »

This review was written by Rodzilla. He purchased his copy of the video and wrote the review, which is to be posted on "another site" I do not think he is a member of FF, but he gave me his blessing to post his review here. So, in italics, here is Mr. Zilla's review of the movie:

"Girls in Prison

Producer: Grey Panther Films
Web Site: RueMorgue.com

Starring: RyAnne Rhodes, Ada Johnson, Felicity Meadows, Candle Boxx, Mallory Paige, Wednesday Harrington, Dick Danger, Ruben Lewis, Henry Samuels, Marcus Christensen

The storyline is pretty simple. Five girls make a prison break but things go bad (bad for them, good for us), and they all buy it.

This is not your standard quick kill, rape, necrosex $12 video. This is much more like a short movie. Yes, a movie, with a story, dialogue, character development, sets, music, effects, etc. And as a movie I think it succeeds quite well.

Those of you who know me, realize I like, gloves, machine guns, and lots a overkill. This movie really has none of that yet I liked it. What it does have is a long choking scene, a viscious stabbing, a shotgunning, and several shootings with multiple hits. Not to mention 6 six attrictive women who can act as well as die and play dead.

I don't want to give away the entire storyline or offer a blow by blow account of the action, but I will offer enough that someone can decide if this is right for them.

Nudity - Yes, partial as well a full. Lots dressing and undressing.
Rape - Nope.
Sex - A wee bit of lesbian action, but no guy/girl stuff at all.
Body handling - A little bit especially of the choking victim.
Deaths - 1 Choking, 1 stabbing including throat slit, one shotgunning, and 4 shootings (multiple hits), one of which had a lot of hits.

The deaths were all well acted, the girls didnt' hold back, but these weren't really fantasy type deaths, but rather what one would expect in a prison escape movie. The was suffering, angst, even fear. My favorite death was Candle Boxx getting it. Not only was it a great scene from a film aspect, she did great in acting it. Close behind was RyAnne (was the water cold?!!), however all the girls did great. They could obviously act and it was nice seeing Ada get a chance for a realistic role. She was awesome. I don't want to leave out the guys, but having acted in the past myself, really very few care about the guys. However the ones who had larger parts did good. The Reverend played by Marcus, was very believable and I especially liked the interaction between Dick Danger and Wednesday.

The video had good sound, crisp video quality, and professional editing. Everything flowed together nicely and there were some artistic aspects that were not lost on me, such as the B&W fade in to color at the beginning. Sound was good, I could hear and understand the dialogue, even in outdoor scenes. Smooth editing made the storyline easy to follow and scenes and camera angles flowed nicely. In fact I sometimes had to consciously stop and take note of how seemlessly this all seemed to fit together yet obviously had several camera angles and views.

Statics wise, this has a total running time of about 43 minutes. Much of the first 20 minutes was used to set up the situation although it did have a nice long choking scene going on. The next 10 minutes focused on the stabbing and eventual throat slitting scene, and this was followed by the shootout. The shooting only last about 10 minutes. After that the bodies were lied out along with some flashback footage of the kills for the last 5 minutes. The video is available in 3 parts on nichclips and in 2 parts on RueMorgue.com. RueMorgue.com is the best value if you want the entire movie.

Some flaws and weaknesses always exist no matter the production. This one had darn few and none were significant. One actress was used for two roles. At first it wasn't noticeable but when both characters wear the same watch it was obvious. They also had similar death throes and the wig on one character showed pretty blatantly. One of the prison posse looked and sounded just like the coroner. Maybe it was supposed to be the same character, but I doubt and if so it didn't appear that way to me. Finally, as a technical note, the split videos had a choppy break point. It's almost mid-scene. I much prefer a cleanly separated piece as can be done with H-J Split or even nicely edited into segments. If one wanted to join these together as a single movie it would require them to edit around the joining point.

Memorable moments. This had a lot, and I mentioned the kill related ones, however my personal favorite was when they strung up the snitch, I could hear a voice say, "Oh no, not her!" It struck me a little funny, plus even with all that concern they still laid her out with the rest. This is not a criticism at all, but rather something that amused me partly because I recognized that voice.

So on RueMorgue this set me back nearly 30 bucks, which is a lot more than a Netflix rental and a lot more than some of the $10 specials on Nicheclips. But when you break it down to time, footage, quality, and even deaths it isn't all that expensive. Five gun related deaths with effects and some nudity break down to $6 a piece. A bargain even on nicheclips. For the asphyx fans they may only want the first part of the movie. Stabbing and throat cut folks sort of need both pieces (I'm not sure about the nicheclips split), so they may be getting a bad deal. But someone who likes all of the death types and/or enjoys a feature film feel would be advised to consider purchasing this video. Of course for a shooting and twitching fan such as myself I felt it was a bargain, reminding me of the old days of WAVE. Too bad none of them wore gloves ...

12/11/2010 - rodzilla
Hank S
RueMorgue Entertainment

Re: Girls In Prison

Post by smudger »

From what I have of this film- parts 2 and 3- I would echo every word that Rodzilla says. It is definitely a high quality, very professional piece of work. I merely did not get the first part, because there wasn't any shooting in it; the other two do pretty well as "stand-alone" if you have read the plot synopsis. I think Rod's nit picking a bit when he pulls up one actor being used in two roles. What does he expect, a cast of thousands? :lol2: Well worth the price of admission. Thanks, Hank.
gold

Re: Girls In Prison

Post by gold »

Agree with Smudger not just a video but a great realistic and costly location shoot.Lots of efforts all around